Sunday, June 12, 2011

I earned my IV badge today

Today the Big Guy has been in bed for four weeks. He has Multiple Sclerosis.  I can't believe I am writing this.  My husband has MS. Today it has been four weeks and 5 days since his symptoms began.  And today  I earned my IV badge.  (I am envisioning myself as some sort of 40 something girl scout with imaginary badges.) We just finished day five of Solu-Medrol at home. We did the last dose and then I pulled the IV out (it's a little plastic thing!), slapped that gauze pad down, taped it up and marveled at the amount of arm hair stuck on the IV tape I had removed.  I watched a video on YouTube first.  So, of course I felt completely confident!

The nurse came and got us started on Wednesday with an IV and a few quick instructions about alcohol wipes and drip rates and saline flushes and Heparin chasers.  The she left us, steroids drip-drip-dripping down the tube and hope in our hearts. No problem. Each day I had to get psyched up to do the IV thing.  My hands shook.  I had jelly legs.  Not because I am a squeamish person but because it feels so bloody wrong for me to be in this role.  Who am I to be adjusting a drip rate? Why is anyone trusting me with flushing a line? What if something terrible happens? (Oh wait something terrible did happen, demyelination happened.)What if I do something wrong? Now this five day experience is over.  Who knows how many IVs lie in Big Guy's future.  In our future.  BG's diagnosis was less than a week ago.  Rebif is on the way, in an Omaha Steaks type container I guess. Please Solu-Medrol, do good work and help my BG get out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment