Monday, June 13, 2011

How We Walk with MS

This whole horrible episode began five weeks ago tomorrow.  It began as what we thought was a reaction to Flonase.  A short, bad headache.  Diminished sensation on the right side of the face.  Altered sense of smell and taste.  But the biggest change came four weeks ago yesterday morning at 3AM.  BG could not walk and was puking his guts out.  It was horrible.  Later we called it vertigo.  We talked about balance problems.  But that first day he could not walk at all.  He was shaking and dizzy.  I held a bottle for him when he needed to pee. 

When BG finally walked he did it holding on to my shoulders, pitching to the right. He still does that some days. I have become a walker for my 200+ lb husband. Today was another unsteady day.  Almost as unsteady as that first week.  So we walked together. We had to go get blood drawn.  Then we visited the neighbors. We walked across their lawn and sat on their porch! BG had a shower before we went out and shaved so he looks less like Grizzly Adams and smells better, too. 

Sometimes I miss BG so much as he is in a weird world of sleep and feeling crappy. He is in bed most of every day.  I'm sleeping alone so I can sleep at all.  When BG puts his hands on my shoulders to walk I feel his warm touch and feel connected again. It is horrible, but also, in a strange way, nice. So that is how we walk during this MS episode that seems like it will NEVER end. Like we are playing choochoo or attempting the Bunny Hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment